In April 1949, Antonio “Tony” and Dolores “Lola” Gutierrez opened El Charro Cafe, which was originally located on 4th Avenue. It was a small café that seated 50 people, that quickly became a favorite spot for Yuma Families. Tony and Lola and their two sons, Raul “Sonny” and Leo, lived in a small home behind the restaurant. In one of the rooms of their house, they began making their famous homemade Sonoran Style flour tortillas. Twenty years later, in 1970, the Gutierrez Family built a larger restaurant on 8th Street and 6th Avenue, which is where it is located today. The restaurant serves both Mexican and American food, using Lola’s recipes that were loved by many. Her chile rellenos and green chile saddles are still one of our customer’s favorites.
El Charro Café is proud to have served the Yuma community for 70 years